Join Ana, Al, and Christina from Potter for the People in a fun and intellectually charged debate on the most controversial topics in the world of Harry Potter!
Friday, 4:30-6 p.m., Venetian V
Debate against your hosts or against other fans! A mediator will be assigned to each topic and “totally awesome” prizes will be awarded to all participants. What are you waiting for? Join the official Hogwarts Debate Team at Ascendio 2012!
1. Who is a better guardian: Sirius or Lupin?
2. Did James Potter deserve his imminent death?
3. Are Draco and his family innately evil?
4. Who’s a better role model/husband: Ron or Harry?
5. Should Lily have chosen Snape over James?
6. Had the troll incident not happened, would Ron and Harry ever have become friends with Hermione?
7. Is Severus Snape a hero?
8. Does the book provide a narrative on American slavery through the house elves?
9. Does the Dursley’s treatment of Harry reflect a wider narrative on child abuse and neglect?
10. Is the Dursley’s indulgence on their son a social essay on modern day parenting?
11. Could the Ministry of Magic represent our American government in any way? Why or why not?