The Ascendio Scroll Issue #1
Help Us Test the ASCENDIO 2012 Registration System!
|Are you already counting the days to Ascendio 2012? Yes, there are about 428 days left until HPEF’s eighth event, opens at the Portofino Bay Resort at Universal Orlando® Resort , just minutes from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – but we’re ready to start our public beta test of our Registration System!The website is still in its preliminary stages – we’re still working on the FAQ, the Call for Papers and more – but the Registration system is working, and we have a special $25 discount for the first 200 people who purchase a Full Registration; the discount will be applied automatically in the system when you pay.
Last year, we had about 2,600 people attend Infinitus; however, we are planning forAscendio to be smaller and more intimate, but just as fun, informative and thought-provoking! We are capping full registrations below a thousand people, at least for now, although we are also selling day registrations. The schedule below is still a work in progress, but it’ll give you an idea of our plans:
THURSDAY: Common Room, Vendor Room, Art Gallery, and our multipurpose Courtyard space will be open during the day, and meet-ups can be scheduled in the breakout rooms; Night of a Thousand Wizards will be taking place in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the evening.
FRIDAY: Welcome Feast (breakfast) in the morning, with Formal Programming* beginning at mid-day. Common Room, Vendor Room, Art Gallery, Courtyard, Craft Faire, Live Wizarding Chess, Meet-Ups, Workshops, Fanfic Readings, Merlin’s Circle Reception
SATURDAY: Formal programming all morning and afternoon, Common Room, Vendor Room, Art Gallery, Courtyard, Keynote Lunch, Fashion Show, Wands By Wands By Wizardstheatrical revue, At the Manor Afterparty.
SUNDAY: The Leaving Feast (Brunch) and Auction; in the morning, the Common Room, Vendor Room, Art Gallery and Courtyard may be open.
At this point, we are planning for Wizard Rock, fanfic readings, podcasting events, crafting workshops, meetups and Quidditch; each will happen on at least two days, but the exact dates and times are still to be determined. We’re also going to schedule fan films, a vidding show and more – keep your eye on our announcements in the next few months for details, and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in organizing or sponsoring an Informal Programming event or activity.
* The Formal Programming Call for Presentations/Papers will be released by September, 2011.
As in years past, we will take Discover, VISA and Master Card. We are also working to set up a Registration Station at Dragon*Con and other events this summer.
If you have any issues, comments or concerns during Registration, please email email@example.com.
While we aren’t ready to announce all the specifics or price for Night of a Thousand Wizards, our exclusive, private event at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it will be in the evening on July 12, 2012. Everyone with a Day Pass or Full Registration will be given the opportunity to purchase a ticket or two when they go on sale; Merlin’s Circle registrations already include a ticket to Night of a Thousand Wizards.
There are several levels of registration:
● A Day Pass costs $75. It gives you access to all convention space – that’s the Common Room, Art Gallery, Courtyard and Vendor Room – and includes admission to all formal and informal programming on either Friday or Saturday, except for events that require an extra ticket. Day Pass-holders can also pre-purchase tickets for events that day, such as the Revue or the Keynote Lunch.
● A Full Registration costs $225. It is the “regular” registration rate. It includes the Welcome Breakfast on Friday, July 13, the Leaving Brunch on Sunday, July 15, access to all convention space, and admission to all regular non-ticketed programming events from Thursday through Sunday. The first 200 registrants get $25 off their Full Registration.
● A Merlin’s Circle Registration costs $750. It includes every event from the time you register on Thursday, July 12 to the Saturday Keynote Lunch and the Leaving Brunch/Auction on Sunday, July 15. Merlin’s Circle registrants are also invited to a reception with our Special Guests on Friday night and get preferred seating at all regular non-ticketed programming events from Friday through Sunday. Best of all, a Merlin’s Circle registration includes admission to our Wand by Wand Revue on Saturday as well asNight of a Thousand Wizards on Thursday; Merlin’s Circle registrants can also purchase up to two additional tickets to NoaTW. Merchandise is not included in the Merlin’s Circle, but everything else at Ascendio is covered!
One more thing: whether you’re ready to register now or not, you can begin calling the Portofino Bay Resort at Universal Orlando – our host hotel – to make your reservations! The reservation number is 866-360-7395, or you can fax 407-503-9258. Our code is HPEF-ASCENDIO.The standard room rate – which is good on any night between July 8 and July 19, 2012 – is $210 plus tax for single-double-triple-quad occupancy. We also have Deluxe rooms available for $265 plus tax for single-double-triple-quad occupancy; the Deluxe rooms feature elegantly appointed accommodations and extra living space including a roomy bathroom with separate tub and shower.
If you’re interested in hosting a private meet-up, the hotel can arrange for a Parlour Suite for $210 plus tax per night. Also, suites will be available for 25% off the prevailing rate; you’ll be able to reserve one later this year.
Every room at the Portofino Bay Resort features:
● 300-thread-count, 100% cotton bed linens
● 32″ Flat Panel Television including HD channels
● Smart room technology for automated heating and air conditioning
● Keurig Coffee Makers featuring Emeril’s gourmet coffee and assorted teas
● Lather skin and body care products
● In-Room wireless high-speed internet access (fees apply)
● Complimentary high speed internet access (HSIA) in public areas.
● In-room safe
● Three telephones – bedside, desk, and bathroom – each with dual voice lines, data port, and voicemail
● On Demand in-room movies and video check-out – fees apply
● Iron and ironing board
● Refreshment pantry
● Cotton signature bathrobes and 100% combed and ringspun cotton terry towels
● Dual sinks, hair dryer and make-up mirror in the bathroom
● Daily newspaper delivery to all guest rooms
● Safety deposit box located in rooms and also available at front desk.
● Complimentary turndown service upon request
You will be able to upgrade your registration starting this summer. BEFORE you upgrade, you must email the Registrar for instructions. If you change your registration without contacting the registrar, you will be charged for the full amount of the new level or any other items you are purchasing. Similarly, if you cancel without contacting the registrar, your cancellation will be subject to fees and if you subsequently re-register, you will be charged the full rate again.
You can cancel your registration and get a portion of your money back; HPEF will charge processing fees depending on when you request your refund. Ascendio is on Eastern US Time. The schedule is as follows:
Opening of reg through Oct 31, 2011: 10% fee of total monies paid/assessed
Nov 1, 2011 – Feb 29, 2012: 25% fee of total monies paid/assessed
Mar 1 – April 30, 2012: 50% fee of total monies paid/assessed
May 1 – May 31, 2012: 75% fee of total monies paid/assessed
June 1 – June 30, 2012: 90% fee of total monies paid/assessed
July 1 – July 12: No refunds except in the event of a crisis or tragedy; confirmation must be submitted by August 15, 2012
|And don’t forget, we’re all over the web so friend us, follow us and join us!
Do you have questions about anything in this newsletter? Email us.
|Ascendio 2012 is presented by HP Education Fanon, Inc., and is not endorsed, sanctioned, or in any other way supported, directly or indirectly, by Warner Bros. Entertainment, the Harry Potter book publishers, or J.K. Rowling and her representatives. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © JKR. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2010 Universal Studios.